Saturday, April 16, 2011

Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin by Douglas Hulick


Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin
by Douglas Hulick

Publication Date: 04/05/2011

Rating: 3 / 5 Stars

Synopsis (courtesy of Goodreads):

Drothe has been a member of the Kin for years, rubbing elbows with thieves and murderers in the employ of a crime lord while smuggling relics on the side. But when an ancient book falls into his hands, Drothe finds himself in possession of a relic capable of bringing down emperors-a relic everyone in the underworld would kill to obtain.

Review:

I got this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway (Ty! ^^).

I was a bit optimistic about the story during the firs few pages, but as I got into it, it turned out to be surprisingly fun and an enjoyable read. I found the main character, Drothe, to be an interesting and entertaining. :)

The setting in a fantasy world that is filled with crime and chaos where the characters are set in reminded me a bit of Gotham city -- I don't know it just kind of gave me that vibe -- but just minorly.

I liked how the author did a good job in integrating fantasy and reasonable/plausible magical elements with mystery and thrilling sword fight scenes. I found the pace to be engaging, and not too slow or too fast paced, so kudos to the author for not rushing through or being long-drawn out in the story structure and writing.

I look forward to reading more from this author, hopefully in the near future!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...