Friday, December 3, 2010

Third Sentence Thursday - 1st Thursday - Night Star by Alyson Noel

 Third Sentence Thursday

This Thursday, my third sentence comes from "Night Star" by Alyson Noel (Book #5 in the Immortals series)

"It's impossible."

No, no, no. Improbable - perhaps, but impossible? There are many things one can say is impossible. But it's really all relative, in the sense that while "it" may seem impossible for that one person/people, at that time and place, "it" may not be all that impossible in the future. You may be balking at this idea, thinking, "Are pigs really going to fly in the future? It's impossible for a person to levitate. etc etc" 

I'll give you this - being a biology major, I'm pretty sure that pigs will never grow wings and be able to take flight. But I bet you never thought you'd see a human ear growing on a mouse. Example a -- 
Ta-da. Yeah, sorry to gross some of you out. But it gets the point across. 700 years ago, people thought the idea of Earth orbiting the Sun, and not the other way around, was an impossible, preposterous pack of lies. 100 years ago, people probably couldn't even begin to fathom that space travel is possible and that a person can actually get to the moon - but it has been done and accomplished many times over. 

George Bernard Shaw once said, "You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'" That is why something may be improbable, but not impossible.

So, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes, which happens to deal with said impossible things, for you to ponder.

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...